x1350, widerscreen and xorg 1.4

Max Russell thedossone at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 25 11:25:23 PDT 2008

Hi -
I am running a recently installed FreeBSD 7.0 system with the default xorg:

X.Org X Server 1.4.0
Release Date: 5 September 2007
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE i386
Current Operating System: FreeBSD ironteeth.home 7.0-RELEASE FreeBSD
7.0-RELEASE #0: Sun Feb 24 19:59:52 UTC 2008
root at logan.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC i386

I have a Powercolor ati x-1350 card with a Video7 widescreen monitor capable of

 Frequency at Resolution  640 x 480 @ 75 Hz, 800 x 600 @75 Hz, 1024 x
768 @ 75 Hz, 1280 x 1024 @ 60 Hz, 1440 x 900 @ 60 Hz
  Horizontal/Vertical Frequency  30 - 82 KHz / 56 - 76 Hz
  Video Bandwidth  135 MHz

I find that if I try to use either the radeon or ati drivers, x will
not start at all. Even with the vesa driver, I find that I can't get
proper desktop resolution.

I'm presuming as there is a specific mailing list for this, I'm not
completely alone with these kinds of issues.

I've tried commenting out the bus id, inserting modelines etc to no
avail. Can anyone help please?

thanks.