Some general comments, and 1280x1024 mode no longer available in 6.7.194

pj_beers at hotmail.com pj_beers at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 24 02:15:07 PDT 2007

Hi,

I recently upgraded from version 6.6.3 to 6.7.192, and then followed git
until 6.7.194, and I thought I'd inform you of my experiences. I'm using
this with a Thinkpad t43p, which has a ATI Technologies Inc M24GL [Mobility
FireGL V3200] (rev 80) according to lspci. That's the same as x300, or
rv370, if I'm correct.

The major improvement I noticed is that compiz now behaves much better, all
in all its almost usable except that resizing windows takes too long to be
functional. Also, in version 6.7.192 choosing certain openGL screensavers
would result in a hang, but now almost all screensavers work very smoothly
and none produced hangs anymore.

One thing that hasn't worked ever is screen rotation. I've only tried
turning it upside down, but it predictably and completely hangs the
computer - no sysrq or anything, nothing in the logs.

Finally, somehere between 6.7.193 and 6.7.194 a regression was introduced -
the 1280x1024 mode is no longer available for my laptopscreen, leaving
1400x1050, 1024x768, 800x600 and 640x480.

I don't think this mailing list is exactly the right place to send this
information. If need be, I can also make some bug reports. Also, if you
need further info, like logs and/or xrandr output I'd be more than happy to
supply them. Please cc me, I'm not on the list.

Finally, thanks for all the great work; apart from the few above glitches,
the current r300 driver works very well indeed!

Regards,

PJ