xf86-video-ati + compiz = white or black screen

Marius Groeger mgroeger at sysgo.com
Thu Sep 20 02:53:19 PDT 2007

Hello all,

I'm trying to use xf86-video-ati git HEAD head and compiz fusion
0.5.5. If I start compiz --replace, I get an all white screen. If I
add the --use-copy parameter, I get an all black screen (with very few
colored garbage pixels in the top half of the screen). What could be
wrong. So far I could not find any xorg.conf option which has any
influence on this, and the only way out the web suggests is to use
Xgl. I don't want to resort to that because I don't like neither
approach nor the fglrx driver which Xgl implies. Any hint greatly
appreciated!

Thanks
Marius