[ati 9600] How to have dual monitor now with the new driver ?

giggz giggzounet at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 13:28:02 PDT 2007

Alex Deucher a écrit :
> On 9/18/07, GiGGz <giggzounet at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> With the old driver I use MergedFB in order to have a "big desktop". I
>> have a laptop and a CRT. With normal configuration I get (with the old
>> driver) clone mode when I turn on my CRT. With a different Xorg.conf
>> (see xorg.conf at the end) I could have an extended desktop on my LCD
>> and my CRT. I have read that now the MergedFB option have been diseabled
>> and we must use RandR...how can I do that, in order to have an extended
>> desktop ? (with two different resolutions...)
>
> you'll need to add a virtual line to your config set to the max size
> desktop you want to use, e.g.,:
>
>        Subsection "Display"
>                Depth   24
>                Virtual 2680 1050
>                Modes   "1400x1050"
>        EndSubSection
>
> then
>
> dualhead:
> xrandr --output VGA-0 --right-of LVDS
>
> turn vga port off:
> xrandr --output VGA-0 --off
>
> etc.  See xrandr --help for more.
>
> Alex

Ok...but it seems that my crt is not found... when I launch xrandr -q i
get that :

Screen 0: minimum 320 x 175, current 1400 x 1050, maximum 1400 x 1050
default connected 1400x1050+0+0 0mm x 0mm
   1400x1050      60.0*
   1280x1024      60.0
   1280x960       60.0
   1280x800       60.0
   1280x768       60.0
   1152x864       60.0
   1152x768       60.0
   1024x768       60.0
   960x720        60.0
   960x600        60.0
   928x696        60.0
   896x672        60.0
   840x525        60.0
   832x624        60.0
   800x600        60.0
   800x512        60.0
   720x450        60.0
   720x400        60.0
   700x525        60.0
   640x512        60.0
   640x480        60.0
   640x400        60.0
   640x384        60.0
   640x350        60.0
   576x432        60.0
   576x384        60.0
   512x384        60.0
   416x312        60.0
   400x300        60.0
   360x200        60.0
   320x240        60.0
   320x200        60.0
   320x175        60.0

So I can't do anything else...and when I put the line with virtual in my
xorg.conf I have a big desktop but on a screen...so it's not an extended
desktop. The desktop is bigger that my screen...

is there a tip to have a detected crt monitor ?

Thx a lot
Guillaume