[ati 9600] How to have dual monitor now with the new driver ?

GiGGz giggzounet at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 01:41:47 PDT 2007

Hi,

With the old driver I use MergedFB in order to have a "big desktop". I
have a laptop and a CRT. With normal configuration I get (with the old
driver) clone mode when I turn on my CRT. With a different Xorg.conf
(see xorg.conf at the end) I could have an extended desktop on my LCD
and my CRT. I have read that now the MergedFB option have been diseabled
and we must use RandR...how can I do that, in order to have an extended
desktop ? (with two different resolutions...)

Thx a lot,
Regards,
Guillaume

for example my xorg.conf...

# /etc/X11/*xorg.conf* (xorg X Window System server configuration file)

Section "Files"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc"
#       FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/:unscaled"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/:unscaled"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi"

        # path to defoma fonts
        FontPath        "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"
EndSection

Section "Module"
        Load    "bitmap"
        Load    "dbe"
        Load    "ddc"
        Load    "dri"
        Load    "extmod"
        Load    "freetype"
        Load    "glx"
        Load    "int10"
        Load    "record"
        Load    "type1"
        Load    "v4l"
        Load    "vbe"
#       Load    "GLcore"
#       Load    "i2c"
#       Load    "drm"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
        Driver          "kbd"
        Option          "CoreKeyboard"
        Option          "XkbRules"    "xorg"
        Option          "XkbModel"    "pc105"
        Option          "XkbLayout"   "fr"
##a commenter pour avoir le circonflexe
#       Option          "XkbVariant"  "nodeadkeys"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Device"              "/dev/input/mice"
        Option          "Protocol"            "ImPS/2"
        Option          "Emulate3Buttons"     "false"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Synaptics Touchpad"
        Driver          "synaptics"
        Option          "SendCoreEvents"      "true"
        Option          "Device"              "/dev/psaux"
        Option          "Protocol"            "auto-dev"
        Option          "HorizScrollDelta"    "0"
        Option          "MaxTapTime" "0"
        Option          "MaxTapMove" "0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "ATI RADEON MOBILITY"
        Driver          "ati"
        BusID           "PCI:1:0:0"
## option activee par default
#       Option          "UseFBDev"            "true"
        Option          "MonitorLayout"               "LVDS,CRT"
#       Screen 0
#       Option  "AGPMode" "2"
        Option          "AGPMode"             "4"
##      Option  "AGPMode" "8"
        Option          "XaaNoOffscreenPixmaps" "false" # Faster RENDER
acceleration
        Option          "EnablePageFlip"      "true"
        Option          "DynamicClocks"               "true"
#       Option          "MergedNonRectangular"        "true"
##       Option "crt_display" "true"
##dual head
         Option                 "MergedFB"    "true"
Option                 "CRT2Position" "RightOf"
#        Option                 "CRT2Position" "LeftOf"
         Option                 "CRT2HSync" "30.0-86.0"
         Option                 "CRT2VRefresh" "50.0-75.0"
#        Option                 "MergedXineramaCRT2IsScreen0" "False"
         Option                 "MetaModes" "1400x1050-1280x1024"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "LCD SAMSUNG"
        Option          "DPMS"