CTM: was Re: [radeonhd] Necessary for 3D

Syren Baran sbaran at gmx.de
Mon Oct 8 03:35:28 PDT 2007

Am Montag, den 08.10.2007, 11:17 +0200 schrieb Nicolas Trangez:
> On Mon, 2007-10-08 at 11:02 +0200, Syren Baran wrote:
> > Waiting for 3D docs will result in an infinite loop (at least if you
> > are
> > looking for registers to write something like "turn this object by x
> > degrees").
> > The relevant document is
> > http://ati.amd.com/companyinfo/researcher/documents/ATI_CTM_Guide.pdf
> > .
> > As far as i can tell by now, it contains all information necesarry to
> > write an assembler.
> Doesn't this fit fairly nice in the LLVM-based Gallium effort?

Hmm, somehow i doubt it.
The Sparc and x86 architecture actually appear very similiar compared to
this beast.
The R580 has (depending on modell) 48 processors each executing the same
command on different memory locations (though some may be sleeping,
depending on flow control).
The instruction set is very different from architectures i know.
A Sparcs RISC set is more or less a subset of x86 CISC set, but this ...
hmm, i still consider it wierd, but maybe it just takes time getting
used to.

LLVM docs state it can produce code for Sparc and x86 (and intermediate
byte code) and mentions all kinds of optimisation strategies.
I doubt these strategies were developed with such a processor in mind.
The VM approach doesnt really make any sense, unless we are planning to
write a VM for booth ATI and Nvidia GPU´s. And even then interpreting an
intermediate code isn´t what a driver would want to do, due to
performance penalties.

> Nicolas

Syren