Fedora 8 infinity background causes performance problems with radeon driver

Carsten Jaeger carsten_jaeger at web.de
Sat Nov 24 12:38:40 PST 2007

Dear list,

I'm facing some performance problems with my Mobility Radeon 9700 and the
default background in Fedora 8 which is an animated slideshow called "infinity".
The slide show consists of 4 ~2.4 MB PNG images which gradually crossfade into
each other. With this background, there are massive delays when moving or
switching windows.

Of course I could just change the background but just out of interest, is there
anything I can do about it? Any radeon option in xorg.conf?

I'm currently using:

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "radeon"
        Option "DynamicClocks" "on"
        Option "EnablePageFlip" "on"
        Option "ColorTiling" "on"
        Option "GARTSize" "64"
EndSection

Changing or omitting any of these options doesn't change anything.

The driver is the Fedora 8 default one:
xorg-x11-drv-ati-6.7.195-3.fc8

Thanks a lot,

Carsten