Problems with xf86-video-ati-6.7.195 - colours lost.

Halim Issa yallaone at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 06:15:53 PST 2007

I was recommended to repost this problem to this list. I was initially under
the (incorrect) impression that this was for developers only. Sorry for the
cross-post.

Hello,

I recently upgraded to the ati driver 6.7.195 on a Linux-system running kernel
2.6.23.1 and KDE 3.5.8. Distribution: Slackware (-current) on an HP Compaq
nc4000 laptop with ATI Technologies Inc RS200/RS200M AGP Bridge [IGP 340M].
X.Org X Server 1.4.0

The Problem: The system appears to have only 16 colours, so that the display
looks as if I took a grey filter and put in front of the screen.
In console mode (Ctrl-Alt-F6) colours etc are both sharp and fine all the
time.

The Quirk: If I hold the "closed-laptop-lid"-detection button down when X
starts, it comes up with correct colour-settings as it should. However, when
I switch virtual terminal (Ctrl-Alt-F6 and back) it goes back to the bleak
colours.

I have tried this on multiple kernels with the same problem. Also, since it
sometimes works (with the laptop-lid-workaround described above), I suspect
it's not a config problem. The previous driver I ran, 6.6.192 worked just
fine.

Unfortunately I am quite new at this, so I have included as much information
as possible attached, namely the Xorg.0.log, the xorg.conf and output from
xdpyinfo.

If anyone could kindly point me in the right direction where a solution or
workaround might be documented I would greatly appreciate it. Please let me
know if the attached information is in any way insufficient and I'll promptly
send more relevant information.

Thanks in advance!