Great slowness with radeon(4x) and AccelMethod "EXA" for X.Org 7.2

Jeremie Le Hen jeremie at le-hen.org
Thu May 31 15:56:16 PDT 2007

Hi,

Please Cc: me when replying, I am not subscribed.

I'm using FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT which has just stepped onto X.Org 7.2.
Before this, I was using X.Org 6.9.

My graphic card is:

(--) PCI:*(1:0:0) ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility X700 (PCIE) rev 0, Mem @
0xd0000000/27, 0xc8100000/16, I/O @ 0x3000/8

I reused the same configuration file and it worked... except a great
slowness when Firefox was started (note that Firefox is the only
real graphic application I'm using, the other ones are mostly xterm).
The Xorg process began to eat the whole available CPU.

A friend of mine (Cc:'ed), who has the very same laptop as me,
investigated the problem a little further, and it appeared that the
line is the guilty:
	Option         "AccelMethod"   "EXA"

Removing this line or switching back to the VESA driver solves the
slowness problem.  Note that this line didn't cause any (noticable)
problem with my previous X.Org 6.9.

I'm not a X.Org expert at all, so I don't know which information to
provide to help you.  Please feel free to contact me to ask for my
Xorg.0.lorg or anything you deem necessary to solve the problem.

Thank you.
Best regards,
--
Jeremie Le Hen