DRI on dual-head: what's needed?

Nemosoft Unv. nemosoft at smcc.demon.nl
Thu May 10 13:50:14 PDT 2007

Hello,

I've got myself a dual-head setup here with a card based on a Radeon 9200 SE,
XOrg 7.2 (the release, not the latest code), which works fine. However, when
starting up X, I get this message in the log:

(II) RADEON(0): initializing int10
(II) RADEON(0): Primary V_BIOS segment is: 0xc000
(--) RADEON(0): Chipset: "ATI Radeon 9200SE 5964 (AGP)" (ChipID = 0x5964)
(--) RADEON(0): Linear framebuffer at 0xc0000000
(II) RADEON(0): AGP card detected
(WW) RADEON(0): Direct Rendering Disabled -- Dual-head configuration is not
working with DRI at present. Please use the radeon MergedFB option if you
want Dual-head with DRI.

No DRI means no 3D acceleration, no GLX, which is something I definetely would
like to use (you have no idea how slow Google Earth is without this...)

But, I specifically DON'T want MergedFB since I want a dual display (i.e.
a :0.0 and :0.1 X display). I looked at the code, and there's no specifi
reason listed why it doesn't work. So my question to you is: what is needed
to get this working? Or rather, where is the problem? Is it the DRI kernel
module, the X architecture, hardware issue?

I can program in C, no problem, so I would like to get this working. But I
would appreciate some hints as where to get started.

Thanks,

 - Nemosoft