DVI output not visible on LCD with DVI, VGA output works -- (MergedFB on Ubuntu Edgy, Powerbook G4 ATI radeon 9600 M10)

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 02:38:36 PST 2007

On 1/4/07, Martin Langhoff <martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> restarting x.org in a few seconds!

heh, just issuing the sudo cp <drivers> /dest killed X -- surprising!
Upon restart neither the monitor won't take VGA or DVI signal from the
DVI connector. On CVI. the monitor thinks it doesn't have signal (and
announces so). On VGA, it acts as it has signal, entering the
on-screen-display menu shows resolution & refresh rates, but the image
stays black.

MergedFB kicks in alright and I have a very wide desktop but I cannot
see half of it.

With a bit of time I can bisect the regresion on the VGA side of
things... only if you guys want, and there isn't anything more
interesting to do like... debugging DVI output ;-)

Alex, is this a matter of setting the registers correctly to also have
DVI output? If so, I have radeontool, and I've actually done a
checkout of the git tree for it (I think from David Airlie) and if you
give me some hints I can throw mud at my registers and see what
sticks... ;-)

[And now that I've got the build env setup, I'll be more than happy to
keep debugging/trying with the code that's in git, but in the
meantime, ghosting in the vga output is quite bad... I'm preparing a
release for a {completely unrelated} project and eyeballing merge
conflicts on this is murder... ;-) ]

cheers

martin