DVI output not visible on LCD with DVI, VGA output works -- (MergedFB on Ubuntu Edgy, Powerbook G4 ATI radeon 9600 M10)

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 10:38:15 PST 2007

Alex,

thanks for the top-notch info. A few questions follow

On 1/4/07, Alex Deucher <alexdeucher at gmail.com> wrote:
> You need the radeon driver from git to support LVDS and DVI
> simultaneously (Option "MonitorLayout" "LVDS, TMDS").
> of the driver had hard-coded output to crtc mappings.

Which git branch? From Edgy I have v6.6.2 (and I was already using
that exact option ;-) so I'm hopefully not so lost). Last night I got
a checkout. Checking gitk ati-6_6_2..ati_6_6_3 doesn't really show
much, and the two patches on top of that on the ati-6.6-branch don't
seem related either.

Should I be looking at master? I do see a patch from you there that
looks more promising "radeon: make DVI_I default connector". Is the
branch in working state?

I am looking at how to build just this driver following this guide.
Hopefully it's the right one...
http://wiki.x.org/wiki/ModularDevelopersGuide#head-539708fdedddd7994203e866475f03b5b16d38eb

[ And the strange thing is... it seems to run well with the monitor at
work over DVI. So I am not 200% convinced it is a "DVI port is off"
situation, but perhaps a "DVI signal is incorrect". ]

cheers,

martin