Second monitor gets always activated

Klaasjan Brand klaasjan at gmail.com
Mon Dec 24 05:27:50 PST 2007

On Dec 23, 2007 10:32 PM, Alex Deucher <alexdeucher at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Dec 23, 2007 3:41 PM, Jan Willies <jan at willies.info> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > With the new driver 6.7.197 my second monitor is always enabled,
> regardless if it's hooked up or not. This is the output of xrandr after
> startx:
>
> DDC and load detection do not work reliably yet on XPRESS cards, so we
> default to unknown since we are not able to reliably detect monitors
> on those chips.  I hope to fix this soon once I sort out how it needs
> to be done properly on XPRESS cards.

It's not only a problem with "Xpress" cards, lots of people on the Fedora
mailinglist have the same issue with standard r300 cards (I have it too on a
Radeon X800 board).
In addition to that, the "ghost" monitor seems to trigger a bug in Gnome
(GDK I presume) which sets the desktop size (including panels) on the first
head to to whatever the resolution of the second head seems to be.

Klaasjan