Install the lastest BETA XORG?

Hans Warschau hanswr at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 11:05:28 PDT 2007

> A lot of distros provide experimental packages for the new release.
> You might be able to grab one of them.  First you need to make sure
> you are running at least xserver version 1.3 as that is a requirement
> for the newer driver.  If not, you'll either have to upgrade to the
> newer xserver packages provided by your distro or build a new xserver.
>
> to build the latest driver from git:
> install git-core
> install the building pre-reqs (grab the xorg/drm/mesa devel packages,
> gcc, make, autotools, m4, automake, etc.)
> backup your existing radeon_drv.so and ati_drv.so
> check out the code: git clone
> git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/xorg/driver/xf86-video-ati
> configure: ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr
> make: make
> install () as root: make install
>
> Alex

Hello Alex. Thank you very much for taking the time to answer.

That's the problem right there, I'm not really a linux know it all :( My
knowledge is limited as I'm a Linux starter, I know some commands but not
all of them, perhaps you'll look other way when you see I'm a total newbie,
but I have done some search and after trying to install the driver I found
in the mailing list and do ./configure, I get a lot of errors and missing
packages.

Anyway, If you have the time or know some website or that might enlight me
on finally installing a working driver with TV out support for my card, I
would apreciate it very much.

I'm running Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty fawn.

Thanks again.