Install the lastest BETA XORG?

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 10:27:06 PDT 2007

On 8/30/07, Hans Warschau <hanswr at gmail.com> wrote:

> Would it be too much trouble if someone point me to de right direction on
> finding a Tutorial or something on how to install/compile the latest Xorg
> beta driver, I've been trying to enable TV out on my laptop for months now
> with no luck (ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 128MB). I've heard the new releases
> of this driver has many more features and support for old cards.

A lot of distros provide experimental packages for the new release.
You might be able to grab one of them.  First you need to make sure
you are running at least xserver version 1.3 as that is a requirement
for the newer driver.  If not, you'll either have to upgrade to the
newer xserver packages provided by your distro or build a new xserver.

to build the latest driver from git:
install git-core
install the building pre-reqs (grab the xorg/drm/mesa devel packages,
gcc, make, autotools, m4, automake, etc.)
backup your existing radeon_drv.so and ati_drv.so
check out the code: git clone
git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/xorg/driver/xf86-video-ati
configure: ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr
make: make
install () as root: make install