TV-Out as screen 1

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Sat Aug 11 10:43:53 PDT 2007

On 8/11/07, James Cloos <cloos at jhcloos.com> wrote:
> I recently switched over from master to the randr-1.2 branch of
> xf86-video-ati.  Card is an M7 Mobility 7500, chip is R100 class.
>
> The Xorg.0.log shows TV-Out detected, xrandr output includes:
>
> ,----( from xrandr -q --verbose )
> | S-video disconnected (normal left inverted right)
> |       Identifier: 0x4e
> |       Timestamp:  1185544898
> |       Subpixel:   no subpixels
> |       Clones:
> |       CRTCs:      0 1
> |               tv_standard: default
> |       tv_vertical_position: 0 (0x00000000) range:  (-5,5)
> |       tv_horizontal_position: 0 (0x00000000) range:  (-5,5)
> |       tv_horizontal_size: 0 (0x00000000) range:  (-5,5)
> `----
>
> Presumably were I to carry it to a TV and connect it I could use xrandr
> to redirect :0.0 output to the S-video port.

you can user xrandr to enable tv-out either showing the same thing as
another output (like a clone) or showing a different part of the
desktop (think dualhead).

> But I'd rather not do that to screen 0.  I'd prefer to use DISPLAY=:0.1
> for xine, mplayer, et al.
>
> Do I just need to add another Screen section to my xorg.conf and
> reference it in the ServerLayout section as screen 1?

the randr-1.2 branch no longer supports the old zaphod screen based
multi-head.  with randr, you have one or more crtcs/outputs scanning
out of the same or different parts of the same desktop.

> And if so, what should it look like to specify the S-video port?
>
> Also, I understand that it currently only supports an 800x600 display; I
> presume that means that XVideo users will have to do software scaling to
> that size rather than relying on the card, yes?

Xv will work just fine on the tv-output.