A question about Radeon Xorg Drivers

Michel Dänzer michel at tungstengraphics.com
Thu Aug 9 01:07:51 PDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-09 at 09:53 +0200, Fernando Alvarez-Ude wrote:

> I write to you because I have seen your names as Authors of a Radeon
> explanation about the options on this drivers.

In the future, please post this kind of request to the xorg-driver-ati
mailing list. I've added it to CC and removed the people I suspect
aren't interested in this.

> Many people are looking to improve their radeon perfomance in order to
> execute fluently compiz / beryl.

If you have an R300 class card, your best bet is to run the radeon
driver from xf86-video-ati 6.6.193 or newer built against xserver 1.3.99
or newer built against Mesa 7.0.1 or newer with EXA.

> I have found some information about an option called
> "EnableDepthMoves", but I couldn't find information anywhere. ¿could
> you tell me something about it?

It's disabled by default because it's generally expected to hurt
performance.

> And another doubt: There's an app called Driconf. It has an option
> called HyperZ. It's said that it improves perfomance,

It'ss unlikely to make a difference for compiz though.

> but my doubt is shouldn't this option be refered in the Xorg.conf
> file? What's the meaning in have it in a file in the home folder?.

It allows different per-user settings. Driconf also supports a system
wide configuration in /etc/drirc though. See
http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/ConfigurationInfrastructure .