consolidating CI builds

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Tue Jun 11 07:09:28 UTC 2024

On Mon, Jun 10, 2024 at 12:11:56PM -0700, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> On 5/24/24 03:12, Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult wrote:
> > So, I'm thinking about creating some standard templates that all drivers
> > can use. The interesting question now becomes: where to put these ?
> >
> > Abuse xorg/util/cf or xorg/util/macros or create an entirely new repo ?
>
> I wouldn't use either of those - util/cf is specifically for building with
> Imake and util/macro is for building with autoconf.  No X.Org packages (other
> than perhaps Imake itself, if anyone ever added some testing to the CI) should
> have the cf package installed in their CI environment and once packages finish
> converting to meson and drop autoconf support, they shouldn't need util/macro
> either.  In our dream world, both of those repos will be archived someday as
> no longer needed by anyone (in reality, we know that's still a ways away).
>
> The closest existing repo is the freedesktop/ci-templates repo we use already,
> but that's for freedesktop-wide stuff, and I'm not sure they want stuff specific
> to things like xorg drivers in there - repos are cheap though, so we could make
> a new xorg/util/ci-templates or similar if it's useful.

With my ci-templates maintainer hat on: no to xorg-specific templates in
there, it gets too messy.

Note that you can include any file from another repo (I think) so in
theory we could ship the templates in e.g.
xserver/.gitlab-templates/foo.yml or whatever. Not saying we should do
that, just noting it's possible.

ci-fairy (in ci-templates) also has a generate-templates command that
e.g. libinput uses to generate templates from a config.yml and a jinja
file. This could also be an option - have a shared *source* template
somewhere, then generate the .gitlab-ci.yml it with repo-specific config
values.

Cheers,
  Peter