Does anyone still feel strongly about -Wdeclaration-after-statement ?

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Mon Jul 29 02:15:22 UTC 2024

> Do we want to keep insisting on this as part of our style, or have people
> gotten used to it from other languages/projects now and are willing to
> accept it in X.Org code?

Yeah, a lot of style comments and one worry about older toolchains. Are
all of the *BSDs are on C99 compilers now?

Linux dropped this warning last year, but with the admonition to use the
power sparingly as it changes how people read and interpret code and
potentially encourages less modular implementations.

https://lore.kernel.org/all/CAHk-=wi-RyoUhbChiVaJZoZXheAwnJ7OO=Gxe85BkPAd93TwDA@mail.gmail.com/

I'd be fine with a similar wording — that seems like it would offer the
possibility of using this where it really helps but we would otherwise
encourage people to continue to code like it's 1989. Not that our code
gets nearly the level of review that Linux code does...

--
-keith