Found and fixed a 20 years old bug in Xserver :)

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Thu Aug 15 14:51:49 UTC 2024

On 8/15/24 06:40, Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult wrote:
> Seriously, I don't have any clue what that really supposed to mean.
> Unfortunately, we don't have any explaination in the git history - it
> came from a big X11R6.6 snapshot, 20 years ago.

We don't have full history for all of X, but for things before what's in
our current git repos, we have two other sources of history:

X11R1 - X11R6.0 (converted from old X Consortium RCS archives):
   https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/alanc/xc-historical

XFree86 (converted from old CVS archives):
   https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/ajax/xfree86/
   https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~libv/xfree86/

We're missing stuff from the X1 through X10 eras, and X11R6.1 - 6.5,
though we at least have the release tarballs for the latter set.

So for instance, the code you're looking at was introduced by:

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/alanc/xc-historical/-/commit/7cf0ec18f82baea15ddf556b70ea6875505499c0

and is thus actually almost 37 years old, which raises the question of
how sure you are that this has been broken for 37 years without anyone
else noticing or is there some reason for this you've not found yet?

         -Alan Coopersmith-                 alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
          Oracle Solaris Engineering - https://blogs.oracle.com/solaris