xcb: list & padding

Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult info at metux.net
Thu Aug 15 12:56:54 UTC 2024

On 13.08.24 15:29, Peter Harris wrote:

Hi,

> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/lib/libxcb/-/merge_requests/14 changes it so that lists always require explicit padding (and therefore allows unpadded lists). This MR is stalled. With a little review, I think it can be merged.

oh, it's laying around there for 3 years now, nobody seems to care :(
(needs rebase, btw)

Do you think this would help for GetKbdByName() ?
This one is a bit tricky: it has a bunch of variable-length fields
(CARD8 size plus payload), and is _not_ padded.

If so, we really should get !14 merged asap - so I can rework my patch
to a better version.
Right now, I'm just adding a blob field, which the caller has to
assemble on its own:

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/proto/xcbproto/-/merge_requests/49

This one shouldn't cause any *practical* break, since right now this
function is totally useless, you can never get a non-error reply.
(actually didn't find any actual user - only one comment where somebody
tried and failed)

> As long as you're looking at xkb, see also https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/proto/xcbproto/-/merge_requests/39

Maybe split it into several pieces ?

Then we could check on per-case basis which ones are practically
breaking (not just theoretically, because nobody uses those funcs)

Another idea is adding *new* calls (with same opcode) - I don't think
that having the same opcode use multiple times should be really a major
problem.

--mtx

---
Hinweis: unverschlüsselte E-Mails können leicht abgehört und manipuliert
werden ! Für eine vertrauliche Kommunikation senden Sie bitte ihren
GPG/PGP-Schlüssel zu.
---
Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult
info at metux.net -- +49-151-27565287