Future of ROOTLESS

Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia jeremyhu at freedesktop.org
Mon Jan 2 20:12:19 UTC 2023

Hi folks,

XQuartz is the only DDX using miext/rootless.  This code doesn't play well with modern X servers.  For example, it is incompatible with COMPOSITE (cf https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver/-/issues/1409), other rootless DDXs (eg: xwin, xwayland) don't make use of it, and we carry some hacks to miPaintWindow() in XQuartz that are too messy to upstream just to get it to work.

I'd like to remove miext/rootless.  Specifically, I want to move it into hw/xquartz and begin code-folding it away.

Is there anyone that sees any value in keeping the miext/rootless generic support around?