xorg maintenance: maintainer proposal

Thomas Adam thomas at xteddy.org
Sun Dec 10 12:26:04 UTC 2023

Hello everyone,

[ I hope this is the correct list to send this email to -- I have put
in a subscription request, but have not received anything yet, so
please Cc me on any replies for the time being. ]

I've personally been doing a lot of thinking over the past few weeks,
in light of the news about how xorg isn't going to be receiving much
more development effort in favour of Wayland.  I can completely
understand that decision, and I feel that making that publicly known
sets the appropriate expectations.

However, for me, the move away from xorg leaves the window manager
options on Wayland very minimal, without the richness and diversity we
have now.  Admittedly that's also a testament to how old xorg is and
because as a display server, it was the only option -- but Wayland
significantly reduces this, and for some of us olduns (ahem), I
suspect that could be a deal breaker.

So, I'm probably going to sound absolutely crazy for suggesting this,
but I don't want to let xorg dwindle just yet -- hence I would like to
put myself forward -- formally -- to maintain xorg, whenever that time
is right.  Sooner rather than later would be my preference.

I've looked at how things are structured in Gitlab, and everything
seems really sensible.  But obviously this is likely a herculean task
-- so I'd be looking to work with anyone who can show me the ropes and
help suggest any priorities around outstanding MRs, etc.

Happy to do all of this via email and/or a combination on IRC -- I'm
lurking in #xorg-devel as well if that's easier.

Any questions please just let me know.

Kindly,
Thomas