Questions about XPresent

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Wed Oct 19 03:53:24 UTC 2022

Po Lu <luangruo at yahoo.com> writes:

> Does that make any sense?  I'm thinking of a control flow that looks
> like this, when the client draws to the window after a pixmap has been
> presented by the compositor:
>
> Client                  Server                  Compositing manager
> PresentPixmap --------> PresentRequest -------> actually takes the pixmap
>                                                 specified and composites
>                                                 it to display.

Yeah, I've toyed with this design several times and never came up with
any solid way to manage pixmap ownership across these boundaries, plus
it doesn't really fix the underlying latency issues caused by having
three processes involved in showing each frame.

I got started creating a 'semi-automatic compositing' design where the
compositing manager could tell the X server "Hey, just composite this
window to the screen in the 'obvious' way and don't bother me with the
details".

With that, the X server could be in a position to actually make stuff
work like a real window system (iOS, Android, Windows, Mac OS X all work
this way). You'd turn it off when there was any funny business going on,
but most of the time, things could go through this fast path.

--
-keith