Xorg build fails due to "Failed to clone lib/libxcvt"

Jérémy Hervé jeremy.herve at gmail.com
Thu May 26 22:00:26 UTC 2022

Dear Xorg-Devel List,

I am trying to build the Xorg server.
I am using the instructions available here :
https://wiki.x.org/wiki/Building_the_X_Window_System/

and chose the option "Build Process Based on build.sh Script".

I type the following command :

jdh at thinkpad:~/X$ ./util/modular/build.sh --clone ~/X_Build

The process appears to be going on well until the following message appear :

==  Processing:  "lib/libxcvt"
==        configuration options:
Cloning into 'lib/libxcvt'...
fatal: remote error: access denied or repository not exported:
/git/xorg/lib/libxcvt
Failed to clone lib/libxcvt. Ignoring.
./util/modular/build.sh: 691: --prefix=/home/jdh/X_Build: not found
build.sh: "lib" failed on libxcvt
build.sh: error processing:  "libxcvt"

A quick look to the build.sh sources let me think that the script is
looking to the next place

http://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/xorg/lib/

For a "libxcvt" folder but fails to do it.

How to the Xorg team build the server ? Am I using the right instructions ?
If so, could you please help me solving this issue ?

Thanks in advance,
Jérémy Hervé