CI commit checks (was: [ANNOUNCE] libXft 2.3.7)

Thomas Dickey dickey at his.com
Thu Dec 1 23:15:55 UTC 2022

On Wed, Nov 30, 2022 at 04:57:04PM -0800, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> On 11/16/22 01:08, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 15, 2022 at 03:27:38PM -0500, Thomas E. Dickey wrote:
> > > Thomas E. Dickey (4):
> > >        libxft issue #15
> > >        fix compiler warning
> > >        libxft issue #16
> >
> > I hadn't thought of this while committing the changes,
> > but had used short titles because a CI rule limited lines to 80 columns.
> > (I saw some note about that being undone for some projects(*), uncertain...).
>
> We're working through dropping the requirement for signed-off-by lines, but
> I've not heard anything about dropping the 80 column rule.  But then, I'm not
> aware of any X.Org repos in which we block the commit for failing the check,

I found it necessary to rebase a few dozen commits in June when I updated
libXt, because gitlab refused to accept my merge of just a few new changes.

As I recall it, it didn't like the older commits anymore.

> we just make the CI status red.  We could reduce that from error to warning
> as well (which I think we've already done in the xserver repo, but not others).
>
> > For the record, the full titles here would be longer than 80:
> >      libxft issue #16
> >              https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/lib/libxft/-/issues/16
> >      Stack gets smashed in fonts with colors when calling XftGlyphRender
> >              BGRA changes made incorrect comparison for local vs allocated
> >              buffer in XftGlyphSpecRender
>
> None of those lines look longer than 80 characters to me.

They aren't, because I split the lines, based on prior experience :-)

> > and
> >
> >      libxft issue #15
> >              https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/lib/libxft/-/issues/15
> >      XftFontLoadGlyphs for mono font returns wrong info in extents from
> >      XftTextExtentsUtf8 for variable chars
>
> That one you would need to cut down a bit, but could still put in more info
> than just an issue number,

agreed - but as I pointed out, I'd forgotten that the first line of the
commits would be the result in the mail-announcement.

(I have other changes in mind, but am working on several things...)

--
Thomas E. Dickey <dickey at invisible-island.net>
https://invisible-island.net