Requiring newer autoconf for X.Org packages?

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Wed Aug 31 12:22:55 UTC 2022

Hi,

On Tue, 30 Aug 2022 at 22:42, Alan Coopersmith <alan.coopersmith at oracle.com>
wrote:

> We document autoconf 2.62 as the minimum release required in:
> https://www.x.org/wiki/Building_the_X_Window_System/
> and most modules have AC_PREREQ([2.60]).  If I recall correctly, a decade
> ago
> we didn't want to force use of autoconf 2.65 or later since some vendors
> were
> still uncertain at that time about those newer version being under GPLv3 -
> is
> that still a problem for anyone?

GPLv3 is still a huge no-go for a fair few vendors I know of. If you look
around various product source drops, you can generally use shipping bash
3.2.x as a proxy for this.

I don't think this is a huge deal though; for xserver they're all using
Meson + Xwayland (if at all), and for the libs they can either rebuild with
older autotools (if it's still compatible), or just stick with an older
version and forego the torrent of forthcoming improvements in those
codebases.

Cheers,
Daniel