RFC: New libxcvt library

Olivier Fourdan ofourdan at redhat.com
Fri Mar 26 15:58:17 UTC 2021

Hi all,

Currently. the Xorg Xserver has its own implementation of the VESA CVT
standard timing modelines generator in `hw/xfree86/modes/xf86cvt.c`.

That code is placed in its own source file alone because it is also being
used by the `cvt` utility.

Because it's part of the Xorg DDX, Xwayland, which is another DDX also has
a copy of the same code in `hw/xwayland/xwayland-cvt.c`.

Now with Xwayland being a standalone package, mutter which uses the cvt
utility at build time still needs to install `cvt` from Xorg to generate
the modes used in Wayland.

Some time ago, discussing with Jonas Adahl on irc, we thought it would be a
good idea to have that code and utility part of its own standalone project,
to avoid the code duplication and possibly ease contributions.

That was https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver/-/issues/1142

So I went ahead and did just that, called it “libxcvt” and placed in
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/ofourdan/libxcvt

I also made a merge request to use that code in the Xserver:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver/-/merge_requests/637

Can we consider moving “libxcvt” to the xorg/lib namespace in gitlab?

Cheers
Olivier