X server new numbering scheme

Matthieu Herrb matthieu at herrb.eu
Mon Dec 6 21:36:09 UTC 2021

Hi,

I don't understand why the 1.20.x -> 21.x.y change was needed, but I
can accept it.

That said, why try to keep VENDOR_RELEASE in the form 1.21.x.y « for
backward compatibility » according to comments in meson.build and
confiugure.ac (in 21.1 branch) ?

This causes XORG_VERSION_SNAP to be set to a non zero value in 21.1.1
and causes the following text to be displayed on startup, even though
this is a relased version.

"""
This is a pre-release version of the X server from The X.Org
Foundation.
It is not supported in any way.
Bugs may be filed in the bugzilla at http://bugs.freedesktop.org/.
Select the "xorg" product for bugs you find in this release.
Before reporting bugs in pre-release versions please check the
latest version in the X.Org Foundation git repository.
See http://wiki.x.org/wiki/GitPage for git access instructions.
"""

Some may make jokes out of the "It is not supported in any way."
sentence. Are relases any more supported  ?

I'd like to either submit a merge request to remove the PRE_RELEASE
test completely from xf86Init.c, or just drop the "compatibililty"
right shift of the version. I'm typeing this from an X server build
with

VENDOR_RELEASE =  (((21) * 10000000) + ((1) * 100000) + ((1) * 1000) + 0)

and have found no issue yet. What was the need for this "backward
compatibility" ?

What do you think ?

--
Matthieu Herrb