Preparing for libX11 1.6.13

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sun Nov 15 21:06:47 UTC 2020

Xlib has seen some useful changes get merged since 1.6.12 and I'm
wondering if others agree that we might want to do a 1.6.13 in the near
future.h?

I'd like to do a release in the next week or so, mostly to avoid having
the charge from recent activity leak away.

We've got one more important locking/threading fix which hasn't been
merged:

        https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/lib/libx11/-/merge_requests/53

This MR is a slight variant on another MR which addresses the same issue:

        https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/lib/libx11/-/merge_requests/34

At this point, the only thing I feel blocks these MRs is figuring out
how to assign credit appropriately (!34 represents the bulk of the work,
!53 makes the patch cleaner and easier to reason about for me, at least).

Aside from that, there's this MR:

        https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/lib/libx11/-/merge_requests/24

This adds some compose key entries for a new French keyboard layout. I
don't feel competent attempting to review that as it appears that it may
cause problems for existing users. So I'd suggest leaving that pending
until it has been carefully reviewed.

Here's the issues that I think are fixed in current master:

        https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/lib/libx11/-/issues/121
                _XReply deadlock

        https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/lib/libx11/-/issues/95
                Hang in XIQueryDevice -> _XReply

        https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/lib/libx11/-/issues/93
                Hanging on recursive _XReply() invocation

        https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/lib/libx11/-/issues/25
                Deadlock in _XReply when recursing through _XSeqSyncFunction

Here's the issues that I think will be resolved by a release that
includes MR !53 above:

        https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/lib/libx11/-/issues/26

And here are links to more bugs that may be related to this:

        https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/-/issues/2767
        https://github.com/geany/geany/issues/1962
        https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pcmanfm/+bug/1782984
        https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gtk+2.0/+bug/1808710