XI2: Scrolling reports RawMotion event

Ingo Bürk admin at airblader.de
Wed May 1 10:24:29 UTC 2019

Hello everyone,

I maintain unclutter-xfixes[1] which uses XI2 to track cursor movements
and button presses.

Based on a bug report[2] that I was able to reproduce, I am seeing that
merely scrolling the mouse wheel will always report both a RawMotion and
a RawButtonPress event. Interestingly, using higher-level APIs in the
form of xev, only RawButtonPress events can be seen.

Can someone shed some light why raw motion events are reported in this
case and/or under which circumstances this could be intended behavior?
Is this something I should expect?

Best regards
Ingo Bürk

[1] https://github.com/Airblader/unclutter-xfixes