X.Org modules which could use some help to release

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Tue Jul 23 17:20:20 UTC 2019

On Mon, 2019-07-22 at 12:53 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:

> No joy:
> (EE) TSENG(0): No valid Framebuffer address in PCI config space;
>
> Does this mean the ET6100 needs manual configuration of PCI Bus ID? Other?

I think it means the driver is broken, now. Repairable, but.

Specifically:

> [    72.334] (WW) Falling back to old probe method for tseng

If we ever see this for a PCI device, where the driver subsequently
binds and tries to initialize, then something has probably gone wrong.
In this case it's that the tseng driver lacks a pci-specific probe
method (the PciProbe slot in DriverRec), and the "old" probe method
seems not to find the corresponding PCI device descriptor. So by the
time we hit here:

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-tseng/blob/master/src/tseng_driver.c#L883

PCI_REGION_BASE() returns NULL here since the device descriptor is
empty, and the driver throws its hands up in despair. But the real
descriptor _does_ correctly describe the video memory BAR:

[    72.041] (--) PCI:*(0:0:10:0) 100c:3208:0000:0000 rev 112, Mem @ 0xe8000000/16777216, I/O @ 0x0000d000/256, BIOS @ 0x????????/16777216

There are other drivers that also only have a legacy probe method that
I believe have been seen to work since the pciaccess conversion, so I'm
sure this is fixable. But apparently I dropped those drivers from
Fedora about eight years ago, so I'm unlikely to find time to fix them.
Should be an easy project for anyone who has such hardware to test with
though.

- ajax