Bug in xrandr gammas

crawlman at protonmail.com crawlman at protonmail.com
Mon Jan 14 14:17:43 UTC 2019

Hi!

So, I have a rare neurological condition, and it is very important to me that I can have control over color outputs from my monitor screen. After searching for months, I have come to xrandr as the only available solution for linux to change the behaviour of rgb channels. The problem is, it does not allow to change directly the intensity of different rgb channels. It only allows to change "gamma", whatever that is. When I set blue and green gamma all the way down, grey colors turn into red. This is what I wanted. But the "gamma" option does not make any difference for white. White is completely unaffected by xrandr. Every other color get's filtered, except by white.

I am not sure whether this is a bug in xrandr gamma handling, or if the technical definition of "gamma", which I cannot understand, implies that white should in fact be unaffected. But it would be very important, then, to have an option to directly control the intensities of output of each rgb channel. So, if I wanted to shut down green and blue output entirely, I could.

Hope someone can help with this problem!

Thanks for your patience.