Let's merge mkfontdir into mkfontscale

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Wed Feb 20 02:05:19 UTC 2019

On 02/19/19 03:41 AM, Walter Harms wrote:

>> Alan Coopersmith <alan.coopersmith at oracle.com> hat am 19. Februar 2019 um
>> 03:40 geschrieben:
>>

>> Maintaining a separate repo & set of tarball releases for a 3 line
>> shell script wrapper around mkfontscale and its man page just doesn't
>> seem to have been a good use of time for the past 15 years, so let's
>> stop doing that.
>>
>> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/app/mkfontscale/merge_requests/2
>>
>> If no one objects by Friday, I'll go ahead and merge this, cut a
>> mkfontscale 1.2 release, and archive the mkfontdir gitlab project.
>>

> mmh,
> since mkfontdir is actualy mkfontscale with 3 Options already set ...
> would it be an option to merge in completly using a argv[0] check ?

After the repos are merged, that could be done, though I'm not sure it's
worth the effort.

> ps:are there any users ?

Of mkfontdir?  All of the X.Org font packages use it when installing fonts,
and I'd bet a lot of other older font packaging scripts do too.  (I know
ours do on Solaris, from a heritage predating when we added mkfontscale.)

	-Alan Coopersmith-               alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
	 Oracle Solaris Engineering - https://blogs.oracle.com/alanc