[ANNOUNCE] X Server 1.19.7 maintenance release plan

René Rebe rene at exactcode.de
Wed Feb 6 17:34:45 UTC 2019

Hi,

On 05 Feb 2019, at 02:06, Kevin Brace <kevinbrace at gmx.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Back in early January 2019, I proposed releasing X Server 1.19.7 since there are about 20+ fixes queued in since the previous maintenance release of X Server 1.19.6 back in December 2017.
> I did not see anyone objecting to a new maintenance release, so I will like to appoint myself to this task.
> Personally, I have never been involved in releasing such a large software package in the past, so I am sure I will need some help in doing this (in fact, I will ask for help very shortly).
> Anyway, X Server is an important piece of a FOSS software stack, so even if it is a maintenance release, I do not want to mess it up.
> If there are other deserving fixes that should be applied before the release, let me know.
> I would imagine that the code should go through a testing phase (1.19.7 RC1, etc.) since I lack experience in handling such a large software package release.
> Assuming everything goes right, I expect an official maintenance release around end of February 2019 to early March 2019.

Thank you for your effort, as visible on my YT channel I also like to play with nice vintage gear.

	https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjdyd3xcDVY

I guess 1.19 was with XAA already removed? For really vintage hardware and applications choosing the last xorg-server with XAA might make sense, so one can get this solid lines, fills, and such accelerated, ..?

Keep up the good work,
maybe I find some spare time to contribute S3/Virge or 3dfx fixes another day ;-)

	René

--
 ExactCODE GmbH, Lietzenburger Str. 42, DE-10789 Berlin
 http://exactcode.com | http://exactscan.com | http://ocrkit.com | http://t2-project.org | http://rene.rebe.de