X.Org modules which could use some help to release

Niclas Zeising zeising+xorg at daemonic.se
Mon Aug 5 20:00:11 UTC 2019

Hi!
I've tried to give an update of the state of the listed components in
FreeBSD, as packaged in FreeBSD ports.  See inline.
Unfortunately, I can only tell if it's packaged or not, and if any other
packages depend on it.  I don't have detailed usage statistics though.

On 2019-07-15 03:34, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> As you may have noticed, I've been working through the various modules to make
> releases of those with significant enough change to justify a release (i.e.
> more than just the autogen.sh cleanups & gitlab README/configure.ac updates).
>
> There's some modules which have more than enough change that I've left for
> now for other reasons, which others could help with:
>
> app/mkcomposecache:
>    - Does anyone actually use this?  I think the code to read the files is
>      in Xlib, but do packagers ship this to build the files?

Packaged in FreeBSD ports.  Nothing depends on it.

> app/twm:
>    - Needs someone to evaluate:
>      https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/app/twm/issues/7
>      https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/project/Xorg/list/?q=twm
>      patches in https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/app/twm/issues

Packaged in FreeBSD.  Don't know about usage, and haven't heard anything
about issues in FreeBSD.

> app/xkbcomp:
>    - Needs someone to evaluate:
>      https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/project/Xorg/list/?q=xkbcomp
>      https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/app/xkbcomp/issues

Packaged in FreeBSD.  Has several ports depending on it.

> app/xkbutils:
>    - Needs someone to evaluate:
>      patch in https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/app/xkbutils/issues/1

Packaged in FreeBSD.

> app/xrandr:
>    - Needs someone to evaluate:
>      https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/app/xrandr/merge_requests/1
>      https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/project/Xorg/list/?q=xrandr

Packaged and in use.  Haven't heard about any issues.

> app/xrestop:
>    - Are we shipping this as an X.Org project now despite the GPL license?
>    - Previous releases are on yoctoproject.org, not xorg.freedesktop.org -
>      do we care about that?

Packaged in FreeBSD.

> app/xresponse:
>    - I didn't even know this existed until seeing it in gitlab, but it's
>      apparently another GPL project we inherited from openedhand.
>      It looks like it's been abandoned since 2007 - does anyone use it
>      or should it just be archived now?

NOT packaged in FreeBSD.

> app/xscope:
>    - I pushed the fixes to show peer process info on Linux & Solaris.
>      Does anyone want to provide support for any other platforms before we
>      ship this?  See:
>      https://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-devel/2019-February/057982.html

Packaged in FreeBSD.  I can have a look into if I can adopt the patch
for FreeBSD as well.

> app/xshowdamage:
>    - This appears to be test code, never released as a tarball, but might
>      still be useful for debugging, so I don't think it should be archived.

NOT packaged in FreeBSD

> driver/xf86-input-keyboard:
>    - Needs a FreeBSD person to figure out the correct patch to apply for:
>      https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-input-keyboard/issues/28

I guess that's me.  I'll have a look.  We have some local patches as
well, I'll see about upstreaming those at the same time.

> driver/xf86-video-dummy:
>    - Needs someone to evaluate:
>      https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-dummy/merge_requests/1

Packaged for FreeBSD.  No idea if it works or is actually in use.

> These I skipped because we don't package them in Solaris and I don't know if
> anyone else still uses them or they should just be archived now:
>    - app/beforelight
>    - app/fdclock
>    - app/mdm
>    - app/rstart
>    - app/scripts
>    - app/xf86dga
>    - app/xfwp
>    - app/xvidtune
>    - app/xcb-demo
>    - driver/xf86-video-ark
>    - driver/xf86-video-armsoc
>    - driver/xf86-video-impact
>    - driver/xf86-video-newport
>    - driver/xf86-video-nested  (has never had a release?)
>    - driver/xf86-video-tga
>    - driver/xf86-video-tseng
>    - driver/xf86-video-xgi
>    - driver/xf86-video-xgixp
>    - lib/libWindowsWM
>    - lib/libXTrap
>    - util/gccmakedep
>    - util/install-check
>
> (Of those, only xfwpm, xvidtune, & elographics have an entry on
>   release-monitoring.org, which is one sign of use in distros,
>   but not definitive.)

Of the ones listed above, the following are packaged for FreeBSD
app/beforelight
app/rstart
app/scripts
app/xf86dga
app/xfwp
app/xvidtune
driver/xf86-video-ark
driver/xf86-video-tseng
lib/libXtrap
util/gccmakedep

I have no idea if the drivers work or not.
Of all of these, only gccmakedep has any dependencies, the rest can
probably be deprecated, from our point of view.
Per conversation elsewhere, I'm looking into deprecating app/rstart and
lib/libXtrap, as wll as app/xtrap, which already has been deprecated in
freedesktop gitlab.

I hope this list is of some help.

Thank you!
Regards
--
Niclas Zeising
FreeBSD ports committer and x11 maintainer