Sharing a KMS device

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Tue Sep 18 23:42:37 UTC 2018

Troll Berserker <berserker.troll at yandex.com> writes:

> Hmm. I see that drmDropMaster became conditional:
>
>      if (!ms->fd_passed)
>          drmDropMaster(ms->fd);

That's actually a fix which is necessary so that the lessee doesn't give
away control of the whole device.

> I was thinking that may be it is possible to implement a CUSE driver
> to expose leased descriptors as /dev/dri/card* devices so that it
> would be possible to run X server unmodified.

I suppose it could, but I'm not sure why you'd want to?

> But now I see that these leased FDs are somehow special so you can't perform drmDropMaster on them.
> Why?

'drm master' is the overall controller of the whole device; when that is
dropped, all of the related lessees and lessor no longer have access to
the device.

--
-keith