WebKit failing to find GLXFBConfig, confusion around fbconfigs + swrast

Emil Velikov emil.l.velikov at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 14:46:42 UTC 2018

Hi Daniel,

On 27 August 2018 at 09:07, Daniel Drake <drake at endlessm.com> wrote:

> Questions:
>
> 1. What should webkit be doing in event of it not being to find a
> GLXFBConfig that corresponds to the X visual of it's window?

Attempt another config that user(webkit) knows how to work with?

> 2. Why is swrast coming into the picture? Is swrast being used for rendering?

You're using the modesetting DDX, so the 2D acceleration comes from
glamor/OpenGL.
When the driver name cannot be retrieved, glamor will use ... well no
driver - aka swrast.

Possible solutions/workarounds:
 - try the intel ddx - not everyone is using it, it sees development
yet no releases :-\
 - audit the codepaths if one cannot get the driver name otherwise

> 4. Why is there still a list of PCI IDs in the X server?

Nobody had the time/interest to fix that up. I did fold the 5 (IIRC)
different codepaths in Mesa down to 1.
ETIME and EWORK kind of got in the way of fixing up the X server.

I guess it could go up my priority list, if employer (Collabora) suggests it ;-)

HTH
Emil