Obtaining Xorg DDX commit privilege

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Wed Jun 6 17:06:59 UTC 2018

On Wed, 2018-06-06 at 00:37 +0200, Kevin Brace wrote:

> Regarding patch #5, it is based on the observation that starting X
> Server with probing option does not really do anything inside PreInit
> recall back, hence, there is no need to probe the monitor via VBE.

This pattern is common among the UMS drivers. The idea was to
initialize enough of the ConfiguredMonitor variable that X -configure
could write out a maybe-reasonable monitor section, which the user
would then edit fine tune. This turns out to be fairly pointless now
that we can construct the valid mode list at runtime, which is why
RANDR 1.2 drivers typically don't do this bit. (Also because vbe is
sort of intrinsically single-headed, so "a" configured monitor isn't
really meaningful.)

- ajax