[RFC xorgproto v7 02/14] presentproto: PresentCompleteModeSuboptimalCopy flag

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Wed Feb 28 01:02:29 UTC 2018

Hi,

On 27 February 2018 at 21:12, Keith Packard <keithp at keithp.com> wrote:
> Louis-Francis Ratté-Boulianne <lfrb at collabora.com> writes:
>> +#define PresentCompleteModeFlip           1
>> +#define PresentCompleteModeSkip           2
>> +#define PresentCompleteModeSuboptimalCopy 3
>
> I realize that the goal is to get from Copy to Flip; I wonder if we
> might ever need a 'we managed to flip, but it's not great' mode and so
> want a PresentCompleteModeSuboptimalFlip case as well?

For the record, whilst this is true, we don't have any way of knowing
it in the open drivers at least. We know the SuboptimalCopy case
because we can tell that KMS just doesn't support the client buffer's
format+modifier. But there's no indication from KMS that a particular
FB is suboptimally-flippable. I suggested deferring the addition of a
SuboptimalFlip completion mode until we have a real user for it
(Xorg-on-HWC?).

Cheers,
Daniel