Making Composite better for interactive apps

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Mon Feb 5 03:27:48 UTC 2018

Giuseppe Bilotta <giuseppe.bilotta at gmail.com> writes:

> I'm not sure if this could be implemented without making the server
> more susceptible to DOS attacks, though (basically the same issue I
> see in the blocking AutoList geometry change notification).

In that case, the Window Manager can already perform DoS attacks by
simply never mapping the window.  Similarly, the Compositing Manager can
DoS the system by never painting anything. Given that one generally
starts a Window Manager/Compositing Manager at the start of the session,
and that only one of either can be running at a time, there shouldn't be
any way for such a DoS to occur.

In any case, we're not likely to change how window management works at
this point; toolkits have dealt with re-directed configuration for over
thirty years at this point.

--
-keith