gitlab group permissions update

Emil Velikov emil.l.velikov at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 13:19:38 UTC 2018

Hi Adan,

On 20 August 2018 at 20:17, Adam Jackson <ajax at nwnk.net> wrote:
> gitlab groups are recursive, which means if you are a member of the
> 'xorg' group, your permission level for every project in that group is
> at least as high as your permission at the top level. Most of the
> existing accounts were set as Maintainer, at which level you can do
> things like read and set the secret tokens used for web API
> integrations, which is maybe a little too permissive in general.
>
> I've bumped most people down to Developer, which is still enough to do
> things like close issues and merge MRs. The difference is essentially
> that Maintainers can modify the gitlab environment of a project, in
> addition to just the project's content like a Developer. If you need
> higher access for your subprojects, give a shout.

That solves some confusion, as the notification email came.
I'm 100% behind the reason, although a suggestion for the future:

I wonder about having this in gitlab/bugzilla issue tracking with
follow-up action/commit.
It serves as a nice example of transparent/open-source development
{admin really} model.

That said, I'm not 100% sure if permission changes are tracked - git
or otherwise.

HTH
Emil