VK_EXT_aquire_xlib_display and kernel security concerns

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Tue Oct 17 00:43:50 UTC 2017

James Jones <jajones at nvidia.com> writes:

> However, I think direct enumeration is generally useful functionality,
> if nothing else just for things like vkinfo or DRM equivalents.

Sure, I've enabled direct enumeration when the process has access to
that information from the kernel. Right now, that means using the
kms_display extension to pass a suitable file descriptor into the driver
so that it doesn't open a render node instead.

We could do this without an extension by having the driver detect that
you were trying to enumerate displays and go open a suitable master for
you, which would work if you had suitable permissions.

I think what Dave was suggesting was that once you have called
acquire_xlib_display that display enumeration would then list (at least)
those displays, all without any changes to the spec.

--
-keith