xf86 input driver API question

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Mon May 15 02:34:57 UTC 2017

On Sun, May 14, 2017 at 05:48:08PM +0200, Martin Kepplinger wrote:
> might be a dumb question, but I don't find resources: If an Xorg input
> driver supports GET_ABI_MAJOR() < 14, what exactly does that mean?
> xserver < 1.14 is supported? Where is the documentation on this driver ABI?

the ABI is set hw/xfree86/common/xf86Module.h but is independent of the
server version. 14 looks like server 1.11, so you'd expect the driver to
build with that version and/or earlier version.

Note that configure usually checks for a server version too, so you don't
get ifdefs for anything that's already ruled out by configure. in other
words, if configure checks for server 1.10 and you have the above MAJOR
check, the driver supports 1.10 and 1.11 but not 1.12 (because it had a
higher ABI).

Cheers,
   Peter