[ANNOUNCE] xorg-server 1.19.2

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Sun Mar 5 22:07:23 UTC 2017

On Fri, Mar 03, 2017 at 05:32:16PM -0800, Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia wrote:

> > On Mar 3, 2017, at 08:50, Adam Jackson <ajax at nwnk.net> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 2017-03-02 at 18:13 -0500, Adam Jackson wrote:
> >> A collection of stability fixes here across glamor, Xwayland, input,
> >> and Prime support. Also a security fix for CVE-2017-2624, a timing
> >> attack which can brute-force MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE authentication. Everybody
> >> is encouraged to upgrade. Thanks to all who contributed fixes!
> >
> > As several people have noticed, this tarballs is missing some of
> > the standard buildsystem bits, such that you need to run autoreconf
> > before ./configure. This is partly my fault for driving the release
> > script incorrectly, and mostly autotools' fault for being sheer
> > garbage. (Seriously, dear gnu project, please sunset autotools. It is a
> > net loss to humanity at this point.)
>
> What do you propose instead of autotools?  I agree that it is utter
> garbage, and I dislike the license ... but I certainly don't like any of
> the alternatives either.  CMake, JAM, and the rest are pretty much all
> crap for one reason or another.  And hopefully you agree that it's at
> least leagues better than imake!  If there was a good alternative, I'd be
> happy to help with transitioning us away from autotools, but I just don't
> see any good option.

meson seems to be the current favourite, see daniels' efforts for weston:
https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2016-November/031984.html
and some more follow-up here
https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2016-December/032033.html

I tried it on libinput - it works nicely and feels a lot 'cleaner', if you
want an unscientific measurement on top of daniels' benchmarks.
https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2016-December/032117.html

Not sure how well it'd go for something as crazy as the server build system
but it certainly warrants having a look at.

Cheers,
   Peter