[RFC] Server side glvnd

Kyle Brenneman kbrenneman at nvidia.com
Tue Jul 18 17:19:02 UTC 2017

I was actually just getting ready to send this out. This is what I've
come up with for a server-side GLVND-like interface:
https://github.com/kbrenneman/libglvnd/tree/server-libglx

What I've got there is a proof-of-concept GLX server module that can
dispatch to multiple vendor libraries based on screen. The interface is
defined in include/glvnd/glxserverabi.h, and the implementation is in
src/glxserver.

There's still more to do, but I've been able to get the NVIDIA driver
and GLX module running on one screen, and the Xorg dummy video driver
and GLX module running on a second, and I can create and use direct and
indirect contexts on both screens from a single client.

Dispatching works similarly to the client libraries. Each GLX request
has a dispatch stub which looks up a vendor based on something in the
request (tag, screen number, or XID), and it then forwards the request
to that vendor. The vast majority of dispatch stubs can be generated by
a script.

As with the client libraries, I set it up so that each vendor can
provide dispatch stubs to handle any extension requests, including
VendorPrivate requests. In addition, since requests that create or
destroy resources include the XID in the request, the dispatch stubs can
handle updating the (XID -> vendor) mapping. That way, you don't have to
modify a vendor's existing request handlers.

MakeCurrent requests require a fair amount of special handling, so I
defined a separate callback function for them. That way, if it's
switching between different vendors, it can call each vendor's
MakeCurrent callback.

Context tags are, as you note, pretty ugly. In order to avoid conflicts
between multiple vendors, the GLVND layer has to create and assign tags.
To make that easier to deal with, the MakeCurrent callback lets the
vendor library provide a (void *) pointer for each tag that can be used
for arbitrary private data. Xorg's GLX module doesn't especially depend
on how the tag value is assigned, it just needs to be able to look up a
context from a tag, so changing it to go through that GLVND pointer
isn't too hard (unless I missed something in my testing, which is
entirely possible).

Alternately, a vendor library could use the pointer that GLVND maintains
to store whatever context tag value it would have used.

As a side note, the implementation that I've got uses array indexes for
context tags instead of XID's.

For SwapBuffers or any other request that can take an optional context
tag, the dispatch stub dispatches by the context tag if the request has
one, and the drawable if it doesn't. Dispatching based only on the
drawable could cause problems if they map to different vendors, because
then a vendor might try to look up (and dereference) the private data
from another vendor.

The part that's the most different from the client library is how I set
up vendor selection. Instead of GLVND trying to query or otherwise
figure out which vendor to use for each screen, the display driver
simply assigns a vendor library to use:

- In the PreInit callback, the driver calls into GLVND to create an
opaque vendor handle. At that point, the driver provides an
initialization callback function.
- When the GLX extension is initialized, it calls the initialization
callback for each vendor handle. In that callback, the vendor fills in a
function table. This part is analogous to the __glx_Main and __egl_Main
functions exported from the EGL and GLX client vendor libraries.
- Then, in the CreateScreenResoruces callback, the driver assigns a
vendor handle to each screen.

Since a display driver can reasonably be expected to know what GLX
implementation will work, that lets it piggyback on the server's
existing driver selection capability.

I haven't addressed Prime or yet, because I'm still trying to figure out
how it works. But, we could probably set it up to use a separate (screen
-> vendor) mapping for each client. Maybe a new GLX extension to let the
client send some additional data to the server at the beginning, which
the server could then use to decide what mapping to set up.

As for Xinerama, I think it would largely be orthogonal to the GLVND
layer. But, if you've got two screens that both use the same vendor
library, then it shouldn't look any different from the vendor library's
perspective than the non-GLVND case would. Xinerama between different
vendor libraries would be a lot harder, though.

Anyway, I'd like to hear what people think about it. Comments and
questions are all welcome.

-Kyle