Merged repo for protocol headers? Why are they split?

Daniel Martin consume.noise at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 12:37:56 UTC 2017

Hi all,

if anyone would like to have a look, I've pushed my current work on
the merged proto repo here:
    https://github.com/bartsch/xorg-proto2k/
It's generated as is with:
    https://github.com/bartsch/proto2k-generator/

I used git-filter-branch to:
- move files to specific directories and
- prefix commit subjects with the proto name.

Lots of files have been moved to tmp/, which was removed at the end.
See commit "Remove temporary files (tmp/)".

Atm, it just installs:
- headers (+handling Xfuncproto.h and Xpoll.h) and
- pkg-configs for each proto (haven't found any notable diff'erences
to my distro pkg-configs)

Now:
- What should I do with the {AUTHORS,COPYING}.$proto files?
- Should I remove some protos (i.e. trapproto)? The current list is:
    https://github.com/bartsch/xorg-proto2k/commit/8b06f11ffff1f99c2f66a9327ef669ee17c530e7
- Anything else I should change?

Next:
- I'm working on generating the specs.

Cheers,
    Daniel

PS: Just talked to Peter, he's okay with filter-branch as it gives us
git-log without a struggle and references to other commits can be
looked up in the old repos.