Second Feedback request for my GSoC project to improve Present support in Xwayland

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 15:04:32 UTC 2017

On Mon, 7 Aug 2017 17:36:27 +0900
Michel Dänzer <michel at daenzer.net> wrote:

> On 04/08/17 06:57 PM, Roman Gilg wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 8:44 AM, Michel Dänzer <michel at daenzer.net
> > <mailto:michel at daenzer.net>> wrote:
> >
> >     On 03/08/17 09:11 PM, Roman Gilg wrote:

> >     > Also there is the following issue, which I encountered: The Present
> >     > extension assumes, that on flip the DDX is not able to flip immediately,
> >     > but signals present_even_notify for the flip a little bit later (this
> >     > doesn't mean that's not async, just that the flip is pending for a
> >     > little while). But in the Xwayland  case (or maybe other DDX), we can
> >     > and want flip immediately.
> >
> >     Then you can call present_event_notify immediately. :)
> >
> > The problem I faced when doing that, was that present_event_notify
> > directly does some changes to the current and pending flips, while the
> > present_execute routine assumes that these changes are not yet done.
> >
> > For example vblank->pixmap gets nulled on present_event_notify here:
> > https://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver/tree/present/present.c#n501
> > But it's still needed after the flip here:
> > https://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver/tree/present/present.c#n698
> >
> > While I tried in the beginning to simply guard against these changes
> > individually, for example by setting a local variable vblank_pixmap =
> > vblank->pixmap in present_execute and then working with the local
> > variable, I felt that the more clean and secure version is to introduce
> > the additional hook for DDX' with immediate flips.
>
> Is there such a thing as an "immediate flip" though? All you can do in
> the flip hook is send the "flip" request to the Wayland compositor,
> right? The intent of the current interface is that the driver only calls
> present_event_notify once it receives confirmation that the flip has
> completed. Are there no appropriate Wayland events that can be used for
> this?

Hi,

depends on what you consider as "flip complete".

If it is enough that the Wayland server has processed the attach/commit
and any side-effects that might cause, including a possible release of
a previous buffer, then you can use wl_display.sync request. When the
callback it creates sends an event, the Wayland server has processed
all requests you sent before the wl_display.sync. This is as immediate
as it can be.

If "flip complete" means the buffer has actually hit the screen, then
there is the Wayland Presentation feedback extension that gives you
exactly that.

However, there is no "real" immediate flip, meaning that currently
there is no way to instruct the Wayland server to flip regardless of
vblank timings. Either you effectively wait for the next vblank, or you
pretend the flip completed before it hits the screen.

Thanks,
pq