[xserver PULL master] Modesetting driver prime fixes (unreviewed)

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Tue Sep 13 11:01:02 UTC 2016

Hi,

On 13-09-16 12:53, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi Adam, Keith,
>
> Here is a pull-req for 4 modesetting driver prime fixes, which
> I've had ready for quite a while now. I've asked various people
> at various time to review these, but I've failed to get anyone
> to look at them.
>
> So now I'm asking you to merge these unreviewed and trust me
> that these are good (I've tested them extensively). Getting
> these into 1.19 is important for a number of reasons:
>
> 1) Debian and Ubuntu are moving to using the modesetting
> driver instead of the intel driver for all recent Intel
> iGPUs, without these patches users of hybrid gfx laptops
> will see a regression (DRI2 prime offload will not work),
> also not that Fedora has already moved to the modesetting
> driver for skylake and newer since F24, so the same goes
> for Fedora users with skylake.
>
> 2) The nouveau ddx does not support the latest 2 generations
> of NVidia GPUs so people with these get the modesetting driver,
> without these fixes opengl apps on slave outputs on such
> NVidia GPUs will run at 1 fps.
>
> 3) Ben Skeggs is working on displayport mst for the nouveau
> kms driver this will hopefully be ready soon, since the
> nouveau ddx does not support mst the plan is to switch to
> the modesetting driver for all mst capable NVidia GPUs
> with a nouveau ddx update in the near future. Triggering
> 2) on a wider range of devices.

Erm, correction, the issues are actually the other way
around using modesetting driver on a slave gpu leads
to (DRI2 prime offloading not working), using it on
a master GPU leads to opengl apps on slave outputs
running at 1 fps.

This does not change that both are serious problems
which impact some users now and likely a lot more users
in the future.

Regards,

Hans