Proposed X server 1.19 schedule

Michel Dänzer michel at
Tue Sep 6 07:00:25 UTC 2016

On 02/09/16 02:33 PM, Keith Packard wrote:
> Following the 'release early and often' mantra, we should probably get
> 1.19 out the door and let people start using the new code.

I wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment!

> I'd like to propose that we figure out what remaining non-bug changes
> we'd like to get merged in the next week (or two?),

I'd like to be at least
considered. It allows eliminating tearing with PRIME slave outputs in a
way which is both simpler and more efficient (at least WRT inter-GPU
bandwidth) than the recently added *Flipping* hooks, and saving
inter-GPU bandwidth also when allowing tearing. I can write a
modesetting driver implementation of the SyncSharedPixmap hook, if that

My only other outstanding change is , but I don't care too
much about that anymore, because our drivers already do the equivalent
thing if Xorg itself doesn't. :)

We should also definitely figure out if is still needed / the
proper fix, but I guess that can wait until after this week.

> then move into a non-critical bug fix period for two weeks followed by
> three or four weeks of critical bug fixing and testing. That would
> look like:
>         Development cycle ends: 2016-9-10
>         Non-critical bugs:      2016-9-24
>         Critical-bugs:          2016-10-22
> We can chat about how things are going at XDC, of course.
> This is only a proposal; let's try to generate some rough consensus in
> the next day or two on a final schedule.

This looks quite aggressive, but no objections from me.

Earthling Michel Dänzer               |     
Libre software enthusiast             |             Mesa and X developer

-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: signature.asc
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 163 bytes
Desc: OpenPGP digital signature
URL: <>

More information about the xorg-devel mailing list